The self-assessment season has just passed, and when most of the tax returns are completed, HMRC publish a list of the most ridiculous expense claims that have been made, as well as the most imaginative excuses for not filing.
2018 is no different, and this year we have aliens, vertigo and vet fees for a rabbit!
The most optimistic expense claims made:
· A three-piece suite for my partner to sit on when I’m doing my accounts.
· Birthday drinks at a Glasgow nightclub.
· Vet fees for a rabbit.
· Hotel room service – for candles and prosecco.
· £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days.
And the most recent excuses for late filing?
· I couldn’t file my return on time as my wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house.
· I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play.
· My ex-wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
· My business doesn’t really do anything.
· I spilt coffee on it.
This data related specifically to self-employed persons, however for SME’s, expenses are a popular area for fraud. Where expenses go unchecked, imaginative or excessive claims, such as the ones listed above, slip through the net, and then the costs rise for the business.
Visit www.myexpensesonline.co.uk to find out how a cloud-based expense management system can stamp out expenses fraud once and for all.